Refrigerator/Freezer Recycling Program
We can help you responsbily recycle your refrigerator and/or freezer and provide a $50 incentive. You'll be glad to know that approximately 95% of each appliance is recycled!
If you are buying a new refrigerator, we also have a $50 rebate on certain models. So you can receive $100 by recycling your old fridge and purchasing a new, select ENERGY STAR certified model. Replacing your old refrigerator with a new one could save you $260 in energy costs over the next five years!
Stay tuned for more information about ENERGY STAR's "Flip Your Fridge" Initiative, which will include a contest that will be announced on the Ellen Show. The contest will launch Earth Day, April 22 and last until Memorial Day, May 25. Awesome prizes will be offered. More details will be posted shortly!
It Just Makes Sense
Consider these important facts:
- On average a newer refrigerator or freezer consumes 1,000 fewer kWh annually than a refrigerator or freezer manufactured before 1990.
- Recycling 20,000 older refrigerators or freezers results in energy savings equal to the amount of power used in approximately 1,400 homes or removing 40,000 cars from the road for one year.
- To date New Jersey residents have recycled over 65,000 units, which saves approximately 650,000 kilowatt hours of electricity. This is enough to power 4,550 homes for an entire year!
- Find out how much your refrigerator or freezer costs to operate. You can save up to $150 a year on energy costs!
This offer is valid through June 30, 2015 and is available to residential customers of Atlantic City Electric, JCP&L, PSE&G and Rockland Electric.
This program offers a $50 incentive. Incentives are processed within 90-120 days.
- Eligible appliances include refrigerators and freezers between 10 and 30 cubic feet in size. The unit must be operational at the time of pick up.
- Refrigerator or freezer unit must be owned by the customer. You may recycle a maximum of two units per year.
- You must provide clear and safe access to your appliance(s) for the removal team. Personnel will not risk injury, or be able to move personal effects, or otherwise modify your home (e.g., remove door or railings) to remove the unit.
- An adult, 18 years of age or older, must be present to sign the release form.
There is no application form. To arrange for a free pick up of your old refrigerator or freezer schedule a pick-up online or call us at 877.270.3520.
Additional Opportunities to Save
- There are rebates available on additional energy-efficient equipment, such as heating and cooling equipment.
- Clothes washer rebate
- Refrigerator rebate
Are you wondering what other rebates might be available? Visit our Rebates and Promotions page.