Clothes Washer Rebate FAQs
- What is a modified energy factor (MEF)?
- How do I locate my model number and serial number?
- I just received a letter advising of missing or incorrect information. How do I provide you with the appropriate information?
- What is defined as a proper proof of purchase/receipt?
- Does New Jersey's Clean Energy Program provide rebates for the installation of new windows or insulation?
- How long does it take to receive my rebate check?
What is a modified energy factor (MEF)?
The modified energy factor on a clothes washer measures energy consumption of the total laundry cycle (washing and drying). It indicates how many cubic feet of laundry can be washed and dried with one kWh of electricity; the higher the number, the greater the efficiency. You need to purchase a clothes washer model with an energy factor of 2.2 or higher to qualify for the clothes washer rebate.
Every manufacturer and appliance is different. However, you should not use any numbers found on the packaging your unit comes in as those numbers may not be actual model or serial numbers. Model and serial numbers MUST always be taken from the unit itself. If you are unable to locate the model or serial number, contact the manufacturer to ask them where they place the number on the specific appliance.
Kindly write the proper information on the letter and fax or mail it back to the fax/address on the letter. We are only able to take limited information over the phone.
A legible sales receipt should include:
- Purchase date
- Item purchased
- Purchase price
- Indication that the item was paid in full or under financing
Currently there are no rebates offered for the purchase and installation of new windows or insulation. However, New Jersey's Clean Energy Program offers Home Performance with ENERGY STAR, a program that assesses a home's overall performance and energy efficiency looking specifically at improvements to insulation, duct sealing, heating and cooling systems, and appliances.
Please allow up to 120 days from the date New Jersey's Clean Energy Program (NJCEP) receives all required information to process your rebate. Please know at any time during the process, if NJCEP finds any information missing or incorrect, you will be notified with a letter along with instructions.