Residential New Construction
There are over 1.5 million homes in the United States that have been built to high energy efficiency standards. The homes built to one of the qualifying tiers below have the following benefits:
- It has been designed and built to standards well above most other homes
- Better quality, wall to wall comfort and durability
- Better value for today and a better investment for tomorrow
- Advanced process for inspections, testing and verification to ensure that it meets strict energy efficiency requirements
- High-performance heating and cooling, energy-efficient windows, and tighter construction
- Less energy use and overall savings
- These homes can help you save about $200 to $400 a year on utility bills.
There are different levels of energy efficiency when building new homes:
New Jersey ENERGYEfficient Homes (Tier 1) These homes have energy efficient characteristics and save about an estimated 15% more energy than a traditionally built home, yet do not meet ENERGY STAR standards under the EPA.
New Jersey ENERGY STAR Homes (Tier 2) meets the EPA's version 3.0 requirements, which means these homes are estimated to be 20-25% more energy efficient than traditionally built homes and meet all EPA ENERGY STAR Homes standards.
New Jersey Zero Energy Ready Home (Tier 3) promote innovation in building design, materials, techniques, and operation in order to achieve energy savings estimated to be 50% before the addition of on-site renewable energy generation. The NJ Zero Energy Ready Home tier encourages the construction of homes that use advanced, high efficiency building products, practices, lighting, appliances and renewable energy. Tier 3 was formerly New Jersey Climate Choice Home. This tier aligns with the Department of Energy's Zero Energy Ready Homes.
Please be aware of the Residential New Construction Program changes that will take effect in FY2016.
Additional Opportunities to Save
If you are not building a new home or not doing full gut rehab on your home, please visit Home Performance with ENERGY STAR to make your existing home more energy efficient.