Small Wind Systems
New Jersey Wind Working Group
The Wind Working Group is made up of stakeholders including State government, municipalities, academia, businesses and citizens interested in advancing small terrestrial wind applications throughout the state. It was initially funded by a grant provided by the U.S. Department of Energy Wind Powering America Program, with a goal to address barriers to the deployment of terrestrial-sited wind generation in New Jersey. The group also developed the Small Wind Model Ordinance, which addressed the development of a model ordinance addressing small wind energy systems for New Jersey municipalities.
Municipalities that have adopted a similar version of the NJ Small Wind Model Ordinance
- West Cape May – Adopted February 25, 2009
- Berkeley Township – Adopted November 25, 2008
- Beachwood Township – Adopted September 17, 2008
- Stafford Township – Adopted September 16, 2008
- Oldmans, Township of – Adopted July 2, 2008
- Brick Township – Adopted April 3, 2008
- Galloway Township – Adopted Wind and Solar ordinance on April 22, 2008
- Hillsborough Twp – Adopted December 26, 2007
- Ocean Gate – Adopted November 12, 2007
This list of NJ Small Wind Ordinance’s is not all inclusive. Check with your local municipality to see if they have a small wind ordinance.
The Wind Working Group is open to public participation and input from any interested party. A listing of upcoming meeting dates and notes are regularly posted online. If you would like to receive regular communications on upcoming meetings and other relevant information, please join the wind listserv.
Anemometer Loan Program
Funded by a grant provided by the United States DOE Wind Powering America Program, the Office of Clean Energy has partnered with five colleges to implement the New Jersey Anemometer Loan Program, a tool used to assess the wind potential prior to installing small wind generating equipment.
- Jersey Atlantic Wind (JAW) Agreement
- Atlantic Renewable Offshore Wind Study
- Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- American Wind Energy Association
- Small Wind Toolbox
- How to Buy a Wind Electric System (3 MB)
American Wind Energy Association (AWEA):
AWEA is a national trade association for America's wind industry, with over 1,900 member companies. Below are AWEA references you may find useful: