The COOLAdvantage Program provides rebates for qualifying high efficiency heat pumps. To be eligible, you must purchase, install, and operate a system that meets all applicable efficiency requirements. Call 866-NJSMART or see below for detailed information.
|Heat Pump Rebates|
|Equipment Type||Minimum Efficiency Level
|Heat Pump||Compressor and coil combination that yields >= SEER* 16, EER 13 and HSPF 8.5||$500|
|Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pump**||SEER 16, EER 13 and HSPF 8.5||$500|
|Geothermal Heat Pump||Must be ENERGY STAR qualified (qualified product lists may be found at energystar.gov||$500|
For those affected by Hurricane Sandy, an additional $200 per unit will be added to the rebate levels shown for purchases made on or after October 29, 2012. See additional information below.
*SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio), EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio), HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor)
ACCA Manual J and Manual S outputs are required for heat pump installations (except for ductless mini-split heat units) to demonstrate that the installed system is sized within 15% variance of requirement and correctly selected for the dwelling. Your contractor will need to provide this information.
Hurricane Sandy Relief
New Jersey's Clean Energy Program recently announced enhanced incentives for residents recovering from Hurricane Sandy. If your home is located in a zip code designated as a "major" or "minor" damaged area impacted by Hurricane Sandy, you may be eligible for an additional $200 depending on the date you purchased the heat pump. (The rebate would increase to $700 depending on the date of purchase).
Customers seeking the enhanced incentive should submit the appropriate application (below), and also include a Homeowner Certification Form. If your home is located outside the eligible zip code list, you may also qualify for the additional $200 per unit by demonstrating that you have experienced damage caused by Hurricane Sandy (to be evaluated on a case by case basis). See full Hurricane Sandy Relief details here and we also offer frequently asked questions.
IMPORTANT: If you have already submtited an application, you only need to submit a Homeowner Certification Form. However, new submissions require both an application form (below) AND a Homeowner Certification Form.
Heat pump rebate amounts are based on the unit's SEER, EER and HSPF ratings and documentation that the proper installation requirements have been met. All three rating factors must meet minimum requirements in order to qualify for a rebate.
2013 application forms are below. Please be sure to select the correct application.
- COOLAdvantage Application for Atlantic City Electric, JCP&L, PSEG and Rockland Electric customers.
- COOLAdvantage Application for municipal and co-op electric customers.
- Hurricane Sandy Homeowner Certification Form
- COOLAdvantage Application for Atlantic City Electric, JCP&L, PSEG and Rockland Electric customers
- COOLAdvantage Application for municipal and co-op electric customers
Additional Opportunities to Save
- If you purchase an energy-efficient product for your home, you may also be eligible for a federal tax credit. Please consult your tax professional.
- Consider a home energy assessment from Home Performance with ENERGY STAR to help you save even more and improve the comfort, safety, and durability of your home. Rebates up to $5,000 are available, as well as zero-interest financing!
- Are you wondering what other rebates might be available? Visit our Rebates and Promotions page.
Questions About Your Rebate?
Do you have a question about a rebate? Contact us at 866-NJSMART. You may also submit your question online.
Please allow up to 120 days from the date we receive all required information to process your rebate. To expedite the processing be sure to review the instructions carefully and provide all required information and materials.